Another post as I sit here (not knowing when I will post next due to travel etc):
I am immensely proud of so many of my friends- we have all, it seems, turned the tough corner of being mindful of our health-some were there earlier than others in eating organic and less processed but all have come around in their own way.
Last night before we went to dinner the conversation was as much about fish oil as it was about anything else- and everyone had an opinion on it- what we should be taking to supplement our diets, what exercise works, food woes as per usual etc. What was cool was that all of us were talking about what workouts we liked- In that one room each of us had done spinning, someone was talking Zumba, two others about kettlebells they were doing at home since they dont belong to a gym- it was kinda ...cool.
At dinner we talked about food triggers- I know for me that eating high carb or high fat sets me on a roller-coaster- even in that moment, (after I ravenously went through a fair bit of food in a very short time period) I realized that alot of the time, especially if I'm in a social setting, I'm not "mindfully" eating. Meaning I'm not even sometimes aware of how much food, or what food, Im ingesting -because i'm paying attention to conversation, to other things besides what I'm putting in my mouth, or if in the case of last night, I'm over-hungry and not paying attention to what Im hungry for.
SO THE PLAN NEXT WEEK IS TO EAT...WELL..BUT..MINDFULLY. Pay attention! And not to let myself get THAT hungry. Should be easy when there is food around regularly...ah all inclusive.
Even though none of us is perfect (read: Last night's chinese food) I guess what I am most happy about is that everyone is trying to eat better, feel better, and yes ofcourse look better, for themselves and their loved ones..One thing my trainer and I have talked about is that "you surround yourself with "like minded" people- so you gravitate towards people who think as you do....and by golly now its true- I think we were all in our own ways in a certain amount of denial about getting older and about the work that needs to be done in order to not only stay in shape but get INTO shape...it seems like we're all on the train.and for that, I;m grateful- means I'll have my friends that much longer.
No comments:
Post a Comment